jeannie's hands at work

Knitting, crocheting, other handwork, and personal.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Busy, busy.

I've been busy for the last week & a half pulling wires under the floor at work. We have a suspended floor that's about 18 inches off the concrete. It's designed so that you can lever up a floor tile and step down into the space below.

For 30 years wires from the patch panels and time base correctors have run from there to ten VTR machines, the switcher, the studio cameras, the teleprompter, various scopes, audio, and "other stuff." There were at least six wires to each machine and so on. We've been able to patch any machine into any source and swap them around all the time.
Well, we've gone digital. We now are going to use hard drives to record studio video and fire-wire for feeding DVC video from location shoots into the editing Computers. It'll be 90+% non-linear editing and all digital and High Res.

So my job, Being the knitter and good at untangling things, is to crawl under the floor, UNTANGLE and pull the unplgged wires out.
The "boss" keeps saying "You're doing fine -it took 30 years to tangle those wires, I didn't expect them to be pulled in a few days." That's good.... I'm in shape for about 2 wires at a time and then I have to rest. I'm not used to having to stick my elbows up and out over my head, brace them on the floor tiles, and pull my body weight up using just my pectoral muscles. Every wire pulled requires half a dozen or more such movements and climbing up and down in to various holes tracing all the wires. By 2:oo in the afternoon I'm puffing and groaning like a buffalo stuck chest-deep in a mud hole. Both my knees are bruised and swollen from crawling on them under the tiles that are still in place, and my elbows and forearms are swollen from leaning on them trying not to lie down on all the wires under the floor.
It gets to the point where I just lie there and laugh when I get stuck. Sometimes I get wiggled around and can't move 'cause I'm backed up against a pipe and can't get my leg or foot around to get a different leverage point. It's SO FUNNY~~!!! I got in there, How come I can't get out?

The best news about this project? (Other then how nice the set-up will be at work when it's done.)The jeans I was going to give away -the ones I wrote "too tight" on the pocket linings? They FIT! They're even loose. All that ab work doubled over under the floor. Woo, Hoo!!!
That's all for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home