jeannie's hands at work

Knitting, crocheting, other handwork, and personal.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Michael's Store Yarn Event, Sunday, January 29, 2006

Captions for new download pictures:

Fastest Knitter basket of goodies


Speedy wants to See!

So does Furball.




Michael's had a yarn event on Sunday. It was a city wide event with each store having their own demonstrations, mini-lessons in crocheting and knitting, and the fastest knitter and crocheter Contest.

I had talked it up at a couple of my classes and groups. What better to do on a Sunday afternoon? I went to the store at Eubank and I-40 in the Target shopping center.

I got a refresher lesson on granny squares from Karen (Thank you, Karen!), and Charlene was demonstrating the "Knifty Knitter." Juan was doing mini-knitting lessons and keeping the sign-up sheets going.

I signed up for the fastest knitter contest. There were four of us who competed and four crocheters who signed up as well. We had to cast on 30 stitches on size 10 needles with Red Heart worsted yarn. We were instructed to knit a 7 X 9 inch swatch.

I didn't hear how many stitches the crocheters had to chain, but they had to do a single crochet swatch 7 X 9 inches as well. There were two young girls who entered too, and they really held their own with those of us who were "more seasoned" (read- older).

I was really nervous when we started knitting and then after about 10 minutes, I thought, "This is silly - I came to have a good time; I don't care if I win." I started talking and asking questions of Juan, and talked about blogging, "yarning" on the net, and generally relaxing and being silly. We all started to talk and laugh and really relax. The woman next to me and I were talking about writing when she said something like, "That's it, I'm done. It's obvious who's going to win." I looked up at the others and said, "Who won? Did you?" I looked at them and they pointed at me!

"No, not Me!?" Yep, sure enough- I had been in A ZONE -just knitting away and talking and laughing and having a great time. WOW!!!!!!!!

So here's the basket I won-
Knitting & Crocheting For Dummies Kit with 2 sets of needles, book, crochet hook, & gauge.
Two sets of Clover needles:
straight Bamboo 10's
circular bamboo 10
Clover crochet hook size G (my absolute favorite hooks)
and 2 skeins of yarn, solid blue and ombre'd blue
COOL, huh?

The fastest crocheter won a beautiful basket, too.



I won the Fastest Knitter Contest! Posted by Picasa


Speedy wants to see! Posted by Picasa


So does Furball, just as soon as she finishes looking at the camera. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoutj said...

How cool!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Congratulations, Speedy!

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home