jeannie's hands at work

Knitting, crocheting, other handwork, and personal.

Monday, August 21, 2006

August 20, 2006 GOD CALLED, MOM ANSWERED.

My mom died at 1:50 AM, August 20, 2006.
She had a couple of good days in ICU. She was in good spirits, her color was good, and her O2 level was up. She enjoyed our visits and was chatty and "all there."
Saturday she was moved from ICU back to the nursing home. It wasn't a long ride by ambulance, but still exhausting and a big change.
Martha, Joe and I along with Frances and Doris looked in on her a few times Saturday and she was sleeping. Sunday morning around 11:00 we visited and she was a little out of it but she knew who we were and she was talking and waitng for the Minnesota Twins game to come on tv.
The nurses said her oxygen level had dropped in the night to 30% and had risen again to 71%. They were trying to get her levels up more, but that didn't happen. The next two times we checked in on her she was sleeping and didn't awaken.
The night nurse said she didn't think Mom would be "coming back" from such low O2 levels and even if she did, there would be brain damage. We left about 11:00PM and came back to Doris's to sleep. I think we'd been asleep about an hour when the nursing home called to say Mom had crossed over about 1:50 AM.

I'm so grateful to her for my life and her sacrifices. I'm sorry I didn't know her better, but I'm learning more about her through my siblings. That's a great gift, and she gave us all that.
We love you, Mom.
Dance with the angels, Mama, you've earned your wings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Jeannie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please know that my thoughts are with you during this time of sadness.
Luv Rebecca

8:06 AM  
Blogger The Little (Knitting) Hedgehog said...

Oh no I'm so sorry. But I'm very thankful that you got to go see her. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.

11:11 AM  
Blogger strangelittlemama said...

I'm very sorry. I'm glad her passing was peaceful.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Skye said...

Jeannie, I, as well, am sorry to hear that your mama died. But, you know, I know you had a good life and that you appreciate this woman for giving you life. And I know in my heart that she waited for that time when you ALL were together again to make her departure. It just seems So BIG to do that, some great cosmic orchestration and she must have intuited that is what it would take and that it was needed. Bless her. I'm proud that I got to meet her. And once again, I'm sad that I was not there with you. You know I love you with all my heart. *hugs*

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home